PCS7 communication with a DCS

P

Paul Coates

I am stuck wondering if I should use modbus to communicate between a PCS7 PLC and a DeltaV DCS.

I require communication rate of about a second between the two systems. My experience with Modbus is that it takes longer than this. What should I do?

Should I go with OPC?
What about ethernet?

Any advise or suggetions are welcome.

hi paul,

my condition is still bad than yours, i am a school student and i m still learning DCS. in my university i got deltav system and i have been assigned a project to interface seimens s5 100u plc with deltav using modbus and serail port, and i know nothing, i'm just stuck off here.

but i think u can help me do this. what exactly i have to do, i guess i have to do something using serial registers but what should i do exactly to make the job successful?

plz help me out.

swapnil

D

devrim pakkan

Hi Guys,

DeltaV uses MODICON Modbus RTU or ASCII. So go for buying a serial interface card for DeltaV. Serial card for deltav has two ports, you only need one port so one port license is enough. You can either have rs232, rs485, rs422 with the current termination block. Master and slave modes are supported.

If you need a special interface rather than modbus, these card's bios can be upgraded. (like to DH+ or any other vendors...)

check: http://www.easydeltav.com (data sheets)

devrim