S7 to Quantum - Modbus communications

A

A Dobson-Holt

I am trying to set up a Read/Write communications from S7 PLC to a Quantum using the S7 Modbus TCP Driver from Siemens. I am having difficulty getting any communication between the two. The S7 is set up as the Client and the Quantum the Server. What/if any configuration is required in the Quantum? Does anyone have any experience with this arrangement that could possibly offer some advice?

Hi , I am in the same boat. Have you tried the demo software for S7 that came with the drivers ?I am setting up two S7 PLC's and will try to get them to talk via modbus.

Hi Guys, there is nothing to configure in the Quantum PLC, this will always answer on MB/TCP messages.

It might be easier when the Quantum takes the initiative in that case you will need to fill in the I/O sscanner. Here you configure slave IP address, if you want to read or write to the slave the start address (register) and the amount. In the repeat rate you just fill in the freqeuncy of reading and writing and your ready!

I do not know the S7 myself from what I heard you need to program in the PLC before it's answers.

It took us 4 hours to setup comms between a S7 and a Premium PLC using the software from Siemens.

Used the client part.
Modified 'my' software and included the demo soft blocks as is (DB100, FB100, FB200, FC55 and FC56).
When making a connection you need to connect to port 502.

Because we don't have the software from the Premium PLC (yet), I don't know what I am reading.
We are reading from Holding register 1 to 125 but that is all we know.

I haven't got much time but if you want to you can contact me at

eric<dot>buysse<at>danone<dot>com

and I will try to help.