RS232 to Adressable modbus

K

Kirk

I have a series of devices which communicate through rs232. These devices reside in remote locations.

I would like to find some type of inexpensive converter that would take the rs232 data and convert it to rs485 in modbus format. (ie make the non addressable rs232 data available as a modbus slave)

The devices generate a short numeric string every few minutes,which I would like to read into a rockwell PLC through a prosoft MVI56 modbus card.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanx
Kirk

J

Jerry Miille

I have a suggestion for you to look at.

See our Omnii-Comm http://www.miille.com/din266-p00.pdf. This module supports many different serial protocols. Included in the protocol set are Allen-Bradley DF-1, Modbus and ASCII as well as many others. This module can decode an ASCII message, extract the information you need (parse the input string) and write the data directly to PLC registers or place it into a "database" that can be read as needed using any of our many supported protocols.

The ASCII communication driver includes some very powerful "parsing" capabilities. Bottom line is that it may very well be able to extract the data you need and write it directly to registers in the Allen-Bradley. No need for an additional conversion or module (or for that matter, any PLC programming).

Please contact me directly at jmiille at miille.com for more information.

Thanks,
Jerry Miille

Y

Yeasir Rahul

You can use a micro-controller with two serial ports. Not an off-the-shelf solution. But if you have any member of your team than can code for micro-controllers, then a small program and a three-component-board will achieve what you need.

Regards
Yeasir Rahul
www.voltsmith.com