Carter Wind Turbine Controller Interface - Modbus?

D

Darran

The CWT300 turbine originally had an RS232 based protocol engineered by Active Control Inc. We have partial docs that describe something that looks a little like Modbus - but don't make it clear whether its binary or ASCII or the method by which a one (byte/character) checksum is calculated.

We did try contacting Active Control but they didn't seem to know anything about it because it was 15+ years ago.

Right now I have a virtual comm port connected over the cellular network onto a controller that is located in the beautiful English countryside. I'm using the Red Lion Crimson simulator to poke it with commands but having no luck.

This is a real poisoned chalice!!!

The chap that designed this was Toby Landes at Active Control. I was co-owner of Carter, so what are you trying to do with the machine and controller and where is it?

Only just found this response... the turbine is in the UK.

The current owner wants to get the wrap count value to be alerted when an unwrap is about to occur.

Apparently they get clutch slip when the turbine tries to unwrap in windy conditions.

Using a Red Lion Controls device I've got some code that attempts to talk directly to the controller using my interpretation of the Active Control protocol. But not had any luck.

If anyone has any luck finding a solution for the CWT300 communication interface I would like to hear from you as I have 2 of them.

Thanks,

John
ventosus at canada. com

Are you talking about the 30 or 350 kw machine? If the 30kw then I assume that these are Tony's machines. Email me. Email name andygibbs1... at... compuserve...com and I'll see if I can help. IF THIS IS THE 350KW THEN TAKE CARE WITH THE ROTATION MOTOR/CLUTCH UNIT. They tended to be weak and overdoing the torque setting broke the mounting bracket!

W
(and I've just spotted this post, too - sorry guys) Well we have the other CWT300 here in the UK and the controller is only worth chucking.

I reverse engineered the code a while back and it really is "1980s vintage" and a liability.

Active Controls did a good job on this - in its time - but I guess a little has happened in 20 years....

We've been trying to find a "proper" controller and hook it up but no one seems to have anything that is any good - that they will OEM out - not even GE Wind ("Oh yes, got a controller but you cant have the code" sort of thing...).

So I guess that once weve cracked it we should market it.

By the way Ive heard about the clutch too and it doesnt look so strong to me. The "Victorian Engineering" was a little under spec when Jay put the thing together....

Again, once we've figured it out we'll publish.

Anything else anyone knows?