Sensors with Modbus/TCP

E

Emin Ceyhan

Hi,

We need to use a sensor that supports Modbus/TCP protocol. We have a RF Reader Controller which brand is Reva ( http://www.revasystems.com ). One of the this electronic device's features is supporting Modbus/TCP protocol. If there is a sensor or transmitter with Modbus/TCP support, the sensor's message can be sent to Reva easily.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Emin

There are lots of "sensors" that work with Modbus/TCP. Unfortunately, you are a bit vague as to what sort of sensor you are looking for. If you are looking for an RF antenna, then I would suggest that you talk to the people that you bought the controller from. Even if they don't sell one themselves, they can no doubt recommend one to you.

You need to worry about more that just Modbus/TCP compatibility. You need to worry about temperature, chemical resistance, size, speed, range, and a lot of other things that I am in no position to comment on.

E
Thank you for the response.

I understand you but we have a project to use the sensor with Modbus/TCP support. It is a load-cell. So I need a transmitter with Modbus/TCP support.

So, if I understand you correctly, the "sensor" you are looking for has nothing to do with the RF system itself. You are looking for a load cell signal conditioner with a Modbus/TCP interface.

I have seen "weigh controllers" with network interfaces, including Modbus/TCP. For example Hardy Instruments sells one.

I haven't seen just a plain load cell signal conditioner with any sort of network interface. However, you can use a standard load cell signal conditioner that has an analogue output and connect it to a network module that takes an analogue input.

For example, Acromag has the:

851T Strain Gauge / Load Cell Input
This would interface to the load cell, and provide an analogue output.

and they also have the

961EN / 962EN 6-Channel Differential Input: DC Current or DC Voltage Signals

or the

963EN / 964EN 12-Channel Single-Ended Input: DC Current or DC Voltage Signals

Either of these would take an analogue input from the load cell signal conditioner and output Modbus/TCP.

I'm not recommending any of the above products in particular, but I am offering them as examples. There are no doubt equivalents from other manufacturers as well.