Modbus Plus Master MB_MSTR

P

Phill Mckenna

I have a Quantum setup to IO Scan an Advantys island of IO. This works well on a cable connected ethernet network, but intermittently stops on a radio ethernet network.

I have been told that using the MB_MSTR block will help with reset of the NOE module, but I have not found how to make it work. If anyone can assist with a working example of using the MB_MSTR to reset the NOE when IO Scanning stops, this would be good.

S

Schneider Italy

You have to focus on the Access Point configuration because I/O Scanning does not affect the NOE module. You may configure the I/O Scanning slower and see what happens.

For sure with MBP_MSTR you are able to manage Modbus TCP communication by closing socket and open again (what I/O Scanning doesn't manage very well) when an error occurs. In any case or you use I/O Scanning or you use MBP_MSTR (there are other function blocks in Unity: for example READ_REG, WRITE_REG, CREAD_REG, CWRITE_REG). Using MBP_MSTR for reset the module you need to use the function "10" as you can see in the Help, or use Abort for stopping an active communication.

In my opinion and experience the problem is in the wireless AP configuration or in the wireless network itself and as I told you before try to configure I/O Scanning slower (publication every 100 ms for example).

V

Vinod Kumar KG, Schneider Electric Dubai

MBP_MSTR block can be used to perform 14 different functions and reset option modules (like NOE) is one among that.

To program an MBP_MSTR block to perform a reset option module operation, use function code 10.
<pre>
Control Block Usage for TCP/IP Ethernet
=======================================
Register Remarks
-------- -------------------
CONTROL[1] 10 reset optional module
CONTROL[2] Indicates the error status
CONTROL[3] No significance
CONTROL[4] No significance
CONTROL[5] Routing register. The value shown in the high byte in area 1 through 16 indicates the slot in the Quantum backplane where the NOE module is located.

CONTROL[6]
CONTROL[9] No significance
</pre>