Modbus Slave Simulator

N

Nick Houghton

Hi
i have a 16 port multidrop gateway (modbus to ethernet) and need to test the system fully.

i am looking for a simulator to connect 16 devices to each port and simulate data. This will be connected to a Prosoft card and Control Logix PLC

Do you have any recommendations ?

Nick

B

Bob Peterson

I don't know of any simulator software that will simulate 16 devices.

Even if it did, it would only test the s/w side and not whether the h/w was working completely.

Does the gateway convert from Modbus serial to Modbus embedded in Ethernet or Modbus/TCP?

If Modbus/TCP, can you change the port (other than 502)?

If Modbus/TCP and port is settable, you can use Automated Solutions' Modbus Slave ActiveX Control, which allows for settable port. Each control instance can simulate one Modbus slave device.

http://automatedsolutions.com/products/modbusslave.asp

D
Not sure exactly what your hardware configuration is, but Cyberlogic has a software bridge product for Modicon networks that may get you where you want to go. It can route messages between any combination of Modbus/Modbus Plus/Ethernet networks and can redirect the messages.

You could set up a single device to provide the data, and use the bridge to re-route all of the messages intended for all of the sixteen devices to that one device, so one will respond as sixteen.

If that sounds like a viable approach, you can contact us at [email protected].

Dan