MARK VI Problem with TCI

You haven't told us when this problem started and what was changed to create this problem.

Are you confident of the connection between the HMI and the Mark VI? Because if you're not getting alarms *AND* data, then it might be the problem with the Ethernet link between the HMI and the Mark VI (through the network switch(es)).

But, we need to know when this problem started and what was going on prior to this problem starting and what has been done to try to troubleshoot the problem.

Dear sir,

First I would like you to know that we receive the unit from another company. and this is the first run of MARK VI ..

when we receive the HMI on operating system start, TCI service stops as you see in the attached report. Now we can view the signals on the Cimplicity and toolbox so the Ethernet connection between the HMI and the TMR MarK VI is completed..

Also the SDB is not working as you see in the report below....I suppose this is the problem of why Alarms are not shown in the alarm screen.

please I am asking for your advice

the report is attached in this link
http://www.4shared.com/file/145909653/af185201/rep.html

D
Dear sir,

I have the same problem with our HMI and my laptop so. And I did not find the solutions. Did you try to launch only TCI and to see it will start.

If TCI DO NOT WORK normal that all the applications after will not run.

please I am asking for any advice

Dear Mr. Damon

can you go on:
start>all programs>GE Control System Solutions>TCI>RELEASE NOTES

can you send me yours to know what toolbox you are using. my e-mail is:

ahmed_grezly [at] yahoo.com

Dear all please,

in the TCI log I found this message

LICENSE KEY MISSING: TCI requires a hardware license key to function.
No hardware license key was found - the startup is being aborted

this shows that I have to use hardware dongle. Is it necessary ?and how much is its cost??

<b> and Dear Mr. demon </b>
do you have any hardware dongle?

with my best regards

Ahmed Ali,

I really don't understand the problem. I saw your 'photo album' and I've re-read your posts, and I don't understand what you mean when you say you received the system from someone else.

GE has now started using what they call a UPD, USB Protective Device or USB Protective Dongle. It's a USB device which must be inserted into one of the USB ports of the computer which is trying to run Control System Toolbox and GE Control Systems Solution software. A lot of companies have been protecting their software with 'dongles' for years; GE is just now catching up with the pack.

If the version of GE Control Systems Solution software requires a dongle, and the company which provided the HMI didn't provide it, there's probably a reason. I don't believe UPDs can be duplicated (though I'm sure people are trying to do just that as we write this, and may have already done so).

So, if you bought an HMI from a company which didn't have a legal copy to sell you (the software can be copied and installed on PCs, but to run it requires a USB Protective Dongle, a UPD) and they didn't provide the UPD, then you need to go back to them and ask why they didn't provide the dongle and if they intend to provide the dongle.

If someone in your organization bought an HMI thinking they were going to get a dongle with it, and didn't, then they need to go back to the company that provided the HMI and get them to provide the dongle.

If the company sold an HMI without any promise of a dongle and someone in your organization bought one not understanding it was required, then you can see there's a problem.

I don't think GE will sell a dongle if they didn't provide the software/HMI originally.

Early versions of Mark VI software/HMIs did not require UPDs. Recent versions do.

That's about the best look I can give, because as I say, I really don't understand the problem (though as I wrote this I think I understand it now).

The Romans had a saying: Caveat emptor.

Dear Mr. CSA
can you send me your e-mail so we can talk without any delays

and I will do anything you want me to do to understand this problem and specify it..

this is my e-mail
ahmed_grezly [at] yahoo.com

please I need your help

E
eng_ahmad,

i think there is a problem in the dongle try to remove it and return it again then make restart to HMI.

Please tell what happen.

thanks

If you are using TCI with windows XP you need the green Dongle license key.

Otherwise TCI (and alarms..) will not work.

When you order the toolbox to GE, they send to you CDs and dongles. that dongle must be always inserted into the HMI.

If you're using toolboxST for MarkVIe you need that dongle also to open the ToolboxST environment itself.

simone