Fire and Gas Communication

I

ISAM

We have FACP(Fire alarm control panel) and GDS (Gas detection system) in remote area. We would like to communicate if any fire alarm or gas alarm which shall be communicated to master fire alarm control panel which is located approximately 20 km away from FACP/GDS. There is existing FOC cable available from FACP/GDS to MFACP.

1. Shall FACP and GDS support Modbus TCP/IP protocol?

2. Is separate spare core is required for communication of FACP/GDS?

3. If vendor can use Ethernet switch which can combine both GDS and FACP signal?

2. Is MFACP shall support Modbus TCP/IP?

3. What are the hardware/software requirement from FACP and GDS vendor to communicate MFACP?

M
First of all, decide what kind of architecture you want to adapt for communication. Hope the below information will be useful to you.

1. You mentioned that the distance between the Control Room & area is 20 km. So, you have no option other than Fiber Optic communication.

2. Now, question is: do you already have a FACP & GDS systems installed at the remote area? If yes, check through the detailed catalogue of the systems & find out what communication protocols & physical media are accepted by that system?

3. If you have decided to go for the new FACP & GDS system at the remote area, go with a reliable system - eg., from Tyco or suitable ones for FACP. They will be able to communicate on Modbus over TCP/IP or Industrial ethernet protocols. In that case, you need to have RS485 to Fiber Converter on both the sides or Ethernet to Fiber Optic converters on both the sides as per the architecture. I would prefer MOXA make Industrial converters for this purposes.

4. You will have to use separate Fiber Optic cabling / cores for this communication of FACP & GDS systems. If they are separate systems, you need to have separate Fiber Optic Cabling cores for FACP, GDS systems.

5. I have no idea on how you are thinking of implementing GDS system. If it is through a set of individual continuous gas detection monitors (4-20 mA), you will need a system to connect them for scanning / monitoring.

6. I have no idea on what basis you are going to have GDS system. Was it designed by any consultant or you are doing on your own? If you are doing it on your own, how you are going to ensure the coverage of sensors / gas dispersion modelling etc?

7. Please consider many options related to these systems. These systems are basically for safety of personnel in the plant, safety of equipment in the remote area.

You will need a proper design, studies before going for implementation of these systems.

So, good luck for you.

best regards
Sastry

Thank you very much Mr.Sastry.

Appreciate your reply.

It is an operator sheltor design by us only. Not outside plant.
Two LEL gas detectors are there for HVAC duct. in case smoke or fire alarm need to close fresh air intake Damper of HVAC.
Damper close activation by FACP. Power supply through Solar(24V DC)

it is new FACP and GDS.