Today is...
Monday, August 19, 2019
Welcome to the Modbus Community, about
the world's leading automation protocol.
Setting up Modbus TCP Network
Modbus TCP communication got slower when number of slave increases.

I have one application where Micrologix 1400 PLC acts as Modbus TCP Master/Client, and it is connected to 8 Modbus TCP slave/server. When I start communication it gets slower, some slave are not responding.

In our setup we have used DES-1008C 8-Port 10/100 Mbps unmanaged Switch. With same setup if I reduced slaves to 4, then it works fine. So what could be problem?

Here I have one question of switch, which switch should i use, managed or unmanaged?

For future expansion I have to increase slaves up to 24 numbers in one network.

The issue is probably "some slaves are not responding". Although I've seen networks overloaded with Ethernet/IP traffic where the slow Modbus/TCP comm was due to an overload of Ethernet/IP broadcasts. A managed switch helps the Ethernet/IP traffic situation; but will not help a 'slave not responding' situation.

The 'slave not responding' time delay is due to the nature of Modbus is its sequential master-slave polling routine. The master polls and then waits for a response. If there's no response, the master "times out" and goes on to the next poll. So the time-out interval affects the time it takes to get through the list, when there are slaves that do not respond or cannot respond within the time-out interval.